Professional competencies can get tired and before you know it, those five years have passed, but you may have been in a professional rut, not enhancing your professional skills. If this describes your career, then consider:
- Learning the ten most important competencies for future application.
- Identifying the alignment between your personal competencies and your organization’s vision and mission.
- Examine your business competency practices and discover which areas need enhancing. When was the last time you sharpened your skills in the 10 Professional Competency areas?
Organization awareness for strategic imperatives
- Leadership skills
- Technological innovation & literacy
- Personal accountability for performance
- Change management & resiliency
- Verbal & written communication
- Problem solving
- Global application & understanding
- Presentation skills
Consider choosing at least 4 of these areas where you could build your competence, and make it a professional priority to begin sharpening your skills in those areas. Can you work with your manager to develop a career plan that is inclusive of the areas you identified above? Most people get stuck in one set of skills. They don’t push, they don’t try harder, and therefore, they don’t excel. Here is the good news: You can be different!