Most people are actually somewhere between being a good leader and a bad leader, with the majority uncertain of the connection between their leadership and performance. A deeper knowledge of what good (or great) leadership is will then enable you to breakthrough and effect change in the performance of your team, organization or company like never before.
To produce the absolute best products and services in the marketplace, all employees must treat their work and their customers with great respect and care. Everyone knows this. It follows then that good leadership requires treating employees with great respect and care — the better the respect and caring, the better the outcome. Click to learn the core tenets of Increased Personal Effectiveness and Communicating to Manage Performance programs.
This is a Natural Law (inexorable, inescapable): treat employees as important and valuable and you will lift them to feel and become this way. They will in turn treat their work, customers, peers and management this way. They will follow your lead.
What then characterizes good (or great) leadership?
- Listening to your employees including subordinate managers/bosses — addressing their complaints, suggestions, concerns, and personal issues at work.
- Coaching people when necessary to raise them to a higher standard.
- Allowing everyone to put in their two cents.
- Trusting your employees to do the work.
- Not giving orders or setting visions, goals and objectives, but instead soliciting this from your employees so everyone is fully involved in how the company will be successful.
- Providing direction, when needed, to ensure that everyone is on the same page (the one they devised). A good leader communicates the vision that was set by all. If it is a vision of little interest, then another one must be found.
Every person wants to be heard and respected. Everyone has something to contribute. Listening and responding respectfully makes it worthwhile for employees to apply 100% of their brainpower to their work, unleashing their full potential of creativity, innovation and productivity and, making them highly motivated, committed and productive. All of this gives them very high morale, enables them to take great pride in their work. Employees will literally love to come to work. Good leadership multiplies whatever creativity, innovation and productivity top management has by however many employees they have.
What every manager, boss, executive —leader— honestly needs to do for the greatest and most immediate results is to listen respectfully and to follow-up with a satisfactory response (actions) to those involved. We can consciously choose to adjust our actions to always lead in the good direction to raise our performance and success in managing people.
Leaders with the most impact are those who can build and successfully manage great teams. Every day, we help our clients and colleagues achieve their highest levels of professional presence and personal effectiveness. That includes everyone on the ladder, from company presidents to project managers, to staff members. Contact us at 800-282-3374 to find out how we can help you impact your own productivity and the productivity of your entire organization.
Employee Development Systems delivers results-oriented training programs that increase productivity, effectiveness, & performance.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.