“My team doesn’t need the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team program – In fact, they’ve been together so long, they finish each others’ sentences!” Over and over again, the word trust is used… and misused. “Trust” implies something different to everyone!
For highly productive teams – those that perform effectively, consistently over time, trust IS their solid foundation; their competitive advantage. Cohesive teams, however, require more than the ability to predict behavior based on past interactions or experience working together. Cohesive team members are open to being vulnerable with each other knowing their colleagues always have their backs. There’s no reason, then, for them to be guarded about their weaknesses, less than honest with their constructive feedback or hesitant to ask for help when they need it. In fact, the transparency of a cohesive team encourages a free exchange of ideas, challenges and diverse perspectives as colleagues have the best intentions for each other as they focus on the collective success of the team.
What are the warning signs that your team lacks vulnerability-based trust and may need your encouragement and support to build or nurture it? Here are some indicators:
- Team members hesitate to ask for help or advice outside their own areas of responsibility. They often rely on the team leader for answers and resources.
- Team members jump to conclusions about their colleagues’ motives, skills or approaches to work or personal issues.
- Team members conceal their lack of knowledge or experience, areas of needed professional or personal development and mistakes from one another.
- Team members find ways to blame others when the group misses its targets rather than acknowledge personal responsibility. Again; often holding the team leader responsible.
- Team members rarely apologize to one another.
What about the team you lead? How about the team you participate in every day?
Based on the bestselling book, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team and powered by the behavior-based research of Everything DiSC®, the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team Program reveals the degree to which a cohesive team expresses each of these five behaviors: vulnerability based TRUST, healthy, unfiltered CONFLICT, clarity and COMMITMENT, peer ACCOUNTABILITY and a focus on the collective RESULTS of the team.
Visit us to learn more about how the Five Behaviors program can transform your workplace, just like it has done for thousands of others. www.employeedevelopmentsystems.com. Contact us at 800-282-3374 to find out how we can help you impact your own productivity and the productivity of your entire organization.
We deliver results-oriented training programs that increase productivity, effectiveness, & performance.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.