Legendary motivational speaker, author and trainer Zig Ziglea died this week at the age of 86. Ziglar, born Hilary Hinton Ziglar, was a native of Alabama, a World War II veteran and a speaker who shared the stage with global leaders including former US presidents and British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
Though Zigler’s philosophy was rooted in Christianity, his messages of positivity, hard work and personal responsibility were able to transcend religion and inspire people from all walks of life. He wrote more than two dozen motivational and sales books that continue to be relevant today, including See You at the Top and Selling 101.
Here are 15 Zig Ziglar quotes to honor his contributions to the world and help you reflect on your own path toward leadership and development.
1. “If you can dream it, then you can achieve it.”
2. “People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily.”
3. “Remember that failure is an event, not a person.”
4. “There has never been a statue erected to honor a critic.”
5. “Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days.”
6. “Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.”
7. “It was character that got us out of bed, commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled us to follow through.”
8. “A goal properly set is halfway reached.”
9. “Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.”
10. “Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.”
11. “If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost.”
12. “The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right now.”
13. “When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.”
14. “Every choice you make has an end result.”
15. “There are no traffic jams on the extra mile.”
Which of the Zig Ziglar quotes most resonates with you? What leadership and development quotes inspire you?