Customize Your Personal Development Plan
- What were your proudest achievements? What were your greatest obstacles?
- What worked? What didn’t? What were the most important lessons you learned?
- What specific training, skills or knowledge did you acquire? How will this education help you in the future?
- How did you grow as a leader or manager?
- How did you grow as an employee?
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate this year? Why?
Now make a list of all of your major goals for 2011, elaborating on each in detail. For example:
- Reasons: Why do you want to achieve this goal? How will it benefit you personally and/or professionally?
- Skills, Knowledge or Abilities: What specifically will you be learning or developing through this goal? (For example, will you be receiving training to help strengthen your management style or taking a class on a new software?)
- Action Steps: What do you have to do to accomplish your goal? Break it down into concrete action steps, and be as detailed as possible.
- Support Needed: What additional help or resources will you require to make your goal a reality? Do you need financial assistance or help from others in your organization?
- Potential Challenges: Try to anticipate any obstacles that may stand in the way of you reaching your goal. How can you overcome them?
- Completion date: Set a projected date to finish this goal, which will keep you more accountable and motivated.