Your future depends on how you express your presence. A professional presence will help you achieve many of your goals. You are the author of your identity, and you write the script for managing your credibility and career.
- Be flexible – Learn about other people’s personality styles (and there are many); this way you can better relate to the individual concerned this way
- Pursue excellence – Be the person that delivers excellence in everything you do. On the phone, at your desk, presentations, minutes – everything you do!
- Listen more, talk less – After first listening, ask insightful questions to the individual(s) concerned.
- Practice diplomacy and tact – You are tested daily. As a professional, you must remain calm and focused when conflict arises.
- Be a person of character and garner respect – Are you known as positive and pleasant? Good will is something that has to be earned Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it.
- Practice “netiquette” – Email, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and blogging, are just a few of the social media tools used to interact with the public, be formal.